Monday, October 13, 2008

I will call it Haida Gwaii

I just found this article in the QCI Observer Oct 13 (the Islands local paper):

Old Massett sign project encourages Haida speaking

submitted by Jusquan Amanda Bedard--Residents and visitors to Old Massett or New Town will notice a great addition to the community - Haida street and office signs, shaped like a traditional Haida canoe. This project, spearheaded by the Xaad Kihlgaa Hl Suu.u Language office and funded by Gwaii Trust, encourages everybody to learn and speak the Haida names for streets and offices, after all, we are on Haida Gwaii (rarely referred to as the 'Queen Charlotte Islands' anymore), so let's speak Haida as much as possible!

I wondered about the Queen Charlotte Island name vs Haida Gwaii. B tells me it depends on who you talk to as to what name you call the islands. I have decided to use Haida Gwaii: to show the Haida people respect for living on their land.

My first Haida word is 'Haaw7aa'. The 7 shows a emphasis on the w sound. It means 'thank-you'.

The boys are also learning Haida at school so they will teach me new words too.

n

1 comment:

HeatherLovesLife said...

I will call it Haida Gwaii as well! I just signed up today and was so happy to read all of your updates. Thank you so much for that. That is funny about Wrestler and the vacumme...lol. Miss you all so much.