Sunday, November 2, 2008

surfin and huntin

I am having a blog catchup day today... so here is another post for today's event:

B left at 5:30 this morning to go hunting with a local guy out in the bush past Port Clements. He took along enough food to last the whole day but he should be home sometime soon.

This morning, I took the dogs for a good walk around town (Wrestler's knee is bothering him again, the dog will not take is easy). I am starting to think my new running routine has catch up with him. When I am running, I take both dogs out for a warm up around town, then I bring Sofie home and run out to the village with Wrestler. Am I out-running both the dogs? It can't be possible :)

This afternoon I finally had my surf lesson out towards Tow Hill; it is just like surfing in Hawaii but also very different. I had never worn a wet suit before and it was crazy to get it on. Took me a good 15 mins to get it on and even longer to get it off! There were 9 of us dressed up like seals out there along with 3 instructors. Our lesson dues were going towards buying kid size boards and wet suits to start a kids surfing program. Cool stuff. They said that surfing on Haida Gwaii is a really new thing and it is starting to gain interest. While I was out surfing, the boys were hanging on the beach and playing in the river... last time I looked over, their pants were soaked up to mid thigh, their sweatshirts were equally wet and it was starting to rain. There was a fire going up on the beach so I hoped they were hanging there. When the rain really started coming down and I was exhausted (and had very cold toes, must have had a hole somewhere) I went back in and there was no sign of the boys. So I hike out to the truck and they are sitting in there, stripped down to their ginch and freezing cold. DID YOU BRING US SOME DRY CLOTHES? they ask.... I hope next time they come surfing too and show papa Jeep their rad skills in Hawaii :) All you need to surf is a good wet suit and a board... no lift ticket, membership fees, admission... hmmm. Maybe a new family activity??

SORRY no surf pics for me. The instructor did take one but it is really fuzzy... there was a guy out there doing promo photos for the kids surf program, maybe he got a good one!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you're out running the dogs tehn you're going to look a lot smaller than you did when you left! It's amazing how in shape you get when the world around you slows down a little.

HeatherLovesLife said...

...outrunning the dogs? I'm going to have to get you a pair of gold running shoes and call you "Bolt"!