Saturday, February 7, 2009

We are rationing...

...from now till we head off-island; I want to eat our cupboards bare! However, I am most concerned that I misjudged the amount of flour left. Today I baked the weeks supply of banana choco chip muffins, applesauce muffins and sandwich buns; I am down to a 1/3 bag of whole wheat flour and about 6 cups of grain in the pantry. I will cry if I have to spend $25 for a bag of flour before we head south... I won't let this happen again :)




This afternoon we went out to North Beach (in the wind and misty rain) in search of more agates for the rock polisher. We want to bring a bunch with us to give out to everyone back home. One of the coolest things to do here is drive on the beach. Where else can you do this?? Anyone?? But beach driving has to be done right or bad things happen. Many trucks have been lost to the ocean out there. The neighbour showed us some crazy pics to prove it. If you drive on the soft sand you can get stuck, stay out of the seaweed or get stuck, watch out for scattered logs, river crossings, always park pointing downhill in the gravel, and most importantly check the tide charts. If you get stuck way out there, it is a long way back to get help (or cell coverage) and if the tide is coming in, you are a goner!



We stopped at the Trout House for lunch and had the most amazing meal. The burgers are huge and delicious! This place is a must stop for anyone coming to town.



This evening D and I went to see a film in town called 'Garbage Warrior'. A very interesting documentary on sustainable living off the grid ( right down to growing food in a greenhouse of sorts) and using alternative building materials/methods. neat stuff.

http://www.garbagewarrior.com/



It's getting late... night now!

n

2 comments:

Fairburns said...

I like your 'night now' comment. Made me giggle. Looking forward to seeing you... how many sleeps?

xo L

Norma Hill - aka penandpapermama said...

love reading your blog! So many memories ... like sky-high expensive flour ... and getting stuck out on the beach lol ! Great writing!