Sunday, January 10, 2010

bread, granola and eggs

I was just thinking about some of the things I am doing differently now; things I didn't have the time, interest, or care about doing pre-island days.

I am making bread at least once a week: bread, buns, pepperoni sticks, calzones, pizza... it takes various forms. The brand name bread comes in twice a week, super expensive. The Co-op has a bakery but I can make what they make no problem. My oven is the pits but I as long as I am patient and have the whole day, it works ok.

Our pantry has been void of packaged snack food for months. No granola bars, fruit snacks, pudding cups, fruit cups, crackers. They are so expensive and when a bag of groceries already costs $10-$20, why spend another $4 on filler? I have finally perfected making granola bars. I want to try a few variations with peanut butter, raisins or nuts. I'll see what my food critics think of the new creations.

And I love my farm fresh little brown eggs I get from a lady on the other side of town. She has about 10 hens and they are super egg making machines! Whenever I can I stock up on eggs from her. We use almost 2 dozen eggs a week, maybe I need my own chickens. Wouldn't that be fun :)

4 comments:

Fairburns said...

I think you should try raising your own hens... great composters and great eggs. Any of the hens cause trouble, easy chicken dinner!

All kidding aside, we had chickens when I was growing up... pretty good experience.

xo Lees

MamaZ said...

Nothing beats eggs from your own chickens, and a veggie garden. Great way to use up leftovers, and the kids love gathering eggs. And if you want to raise cheap meat, raise rabbits (if you are so inclined)-cheap to feed, grow fast, reproduce fast, and the meat is high protein. And, of course, pigs are great for turning your garden soil into enriched dug up soil, and they will eat anything, including the discarded produce from stores (but, unless you have lots of space between you and the neighbours, you probably don't want to go that route). If you are looking for a granola bar recipe, I think Lara may have one.

nicole said...

Yes, all fantastic ideas if we had a bigger yard that was not shaded and swampy all year long :(

Shar Warkentin said...

Hi Nicole,
Brian and I were reading your blog and decided we would really like your granola bars recipe! I've been working at perfecting a recipe based on an old oat bar recipe from my grandma but don't feel I've attained success yet!
Will you share your secrets??