Friday, December 19, 2008

last week of school in 2008

I thought I should get another post up before next week when the festivities start!

My parents left Monday to snowy Vancouver and we have had cold, breezy weather here all week. No rain and no snow. The air is really dry, which I think is quite unusual for this time of year.

Thanks for all the Christmas cards sent our way... the fridge is covered with cards and photos. Nice to know you are thinking of us :)

Last night we had the boys Winter Concert at school complete with some songs and poems about baby Jesus. It was quite refreshing to hear about the gift of Jesus to the world at a school Christmas concert.

D's class sang 'What a Wonderful World'. So it goes 'I see trees of green, red roses too... ' (can you hear me singing?) and a few kids hold up their green trees and red roses made of big cut-out cardboard... 'skies of blue, clouds of white...' And D and a few others standing in the back hold up these big puffy white cotton-ball clouds on long rulers. The whole stage was filled with visual props by the end of the song. I was pretty cool.

J's class sang John Lennon's 'Happy Christmas' song along with the CD. I think we hear this song at a school concert every year... on wikipedia is says this song was recorded in 1971 and it is a protest song about the Vietnam war. I do not think elementary kids are taught about the Vietnam war or about Lennon. I find it a bit political to be a kids Christmas concert song. I dunno, just my 2 bits!

This morning I went to school early to help with the Pancake Breakfast at 9am. I was the egg cracker and scrambler. During the food serving, I was the syrup dispenser so that there was less syrup over-use/mess/stickiness everywhere! I have not helped with a pancake breakfast at school before but I was quite impressed to see fabric table clothes (the school has a washer/dryer) and we used real plates (the staff room has 2 dishwashers). Saving funds and keeping garbage out of the landfill on the island. great!

I am going to B's work lunch today in the village, should be fun! Maybe I should put on my tacky Christmas sweater, flashing earrings and Santa hat?? oh, I forgot to bring that box up here, too bad :)

If I do not get another blog up before Christmas... have a relaxing holiday with family and friends and enjoy your time together. XO n

'For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace'
Isaiah 9:6

No comments: